Monday, April 13, 2009

WE Are The Ones To Blame

There are TONS of reasons why radio corporations don't respect 'THE RADIO PERSONALITY' anymore. The main reason is because, we (the radio personality) have personally invited them to devalue our craft. I've said it a million times - and I'll say it again. This mess is our fault.

The following has actually happened to me:

McDonalds decided to purchase advertising with the company that owned the radio station that I was working for. This company owned 5 stations in my city. McDonalds bought advertising on all 5 stations. As a part of their advertising campaign, one of the stations (which targeted white folk between the ages of 18-34) in the cluster offered the air talent $6,000 to do a couple of live commercials, a few pre recorded commercials and a couple of live 2 hour appearances at a couple of local McDonalds over the course of 3 months. They asked me do to the EXACT SAME amount of work - - but not for $6000 - not for $3000 - but for $450 and a few free cheeseburgers a few times of week.

please take a second to take all of this in

My radio station ranked top 5 in the market...my show was #2 in the targeted demo while the other station was a much lower rated radio station. In other words, they sucked. I innocently inquired about the low talent fee in comparision to my counterpart. I don't remember what they told me - - but it wasn't impressive and I politely declined the offer. The salesperson then made the exact offer to another air personality at my station - and she (with little to no hesitation) accepted the free cheeseburgers.

I also remember being asked to do an endorsement for free a few years after this incident. I professionally & politely declined....and so they approached the BOARD OP to read the commerical. He did. Didn't get paid and yet he was happy as hell. Why? Because his voice was now being heard on the public airwaves. He probably felt that this was he chance to break into the BIG TIME.

Now please don't get me wrong....I've always subscribed to the belief that folk should do what they gotta do in order to get ahead as long as it's moral. Making the sacrifice of doing something for free or low pay at the shot of getting that full time gig is simply a part of the game. Who am I to tell that streetteamer or board op not to voice that commerical? In their minds, that may be their big break! But at the same time - look what this has done to our profession! It has become common practice for companies to take advantage of young, eager talent. In the end, cheap labor always wins!

This is why I have never had a problem telling people how much I made as an on air talent or how much I made to host a club. Deep down inside, I thought that if I made it known that I was paid $1000 to appear at a club - that there would be NO WAY that someone else would do it for $150. But my fellow brothers and sisters in radio have proven me wrong. It's every man/woman for himself. This selfish behavior has destroyed us singlehandedly. This eagerness has cheapened us. And yes, it's OUR FAULT.

PS- As of 3:07 EST, still no check. Payroll refuses to answer the phone.



2 comments:

  1. Now I'm officially pissed off! I'm going to talk about this in my blog, but I'm with you… if I knew how much I was supposed to make for a live read, or a commercial, or a live appearance, or a club gig, I would… probably still do it because I didn't want to rock the boat. I really didn't know how much I was supposed to be paid for this stuff. But the whole staff was brainwashed, not just me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just stopping by but Damn! Keep Pluggin away!
    Jaycee

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis