Saturday, April 11, 2009

Still No Paycheck...Summmabitch


My check didn't arrive today either. I haven't gone postal and most likely, I won't. (Contrary to my last blog entry, although I may seem a little off my rocker, I'm not that damn crazy) But as I sit here looking through the jobs on Craigs List, Entertainment Careers.Net and All Access, I am ALSO thinking about how much I can relate to Angela Bassett's character in Waiting To Exhale. As I previously mentioned, I'm not going to go postal, shave my head or hit the bottle or the crackpipe - - but I can sincerely appreciate the rage and nerve that Angela Bassett exhibited in that movie.

My career situation is parallel to Angela's situation. She gave everything to her husband and after being left alone and absolutely betrayed, her hurt was transcribed into anger. Being able to blog about the bullshit that radio has left me is my way of getting over it.

So with that I say, thank you for allowing me to vent. Being in radio for 10+ years has given me a unique appreciation for listeners - - but in this case, readers. I want this blog to not only serve as an outlet for me to vent - - but most importantly, I want it to be a source of education. I want people to know what REALLY goes on behind the walls of a radio station. I want other people in the industry to realize that they are not alone....

If I disappear, just know that my cable/internet bill did not get paid. Internet access will be the first thing to go if my check doesn't get here soon.

Oh yeah....One more thing...

*note to self* Never play with matches....

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the kind words. I was shocked, then really excited when I saw that you linked to my blog. I feel like I'm talking to myself on my blog, so even if I have one person reading what I'm doing, it makes me feel like I need to write more.

    I feel your pain with paychecks. In the nightclub DJ world, it's ugly because promoters don't negotiate with the club, bartenders, waitresses or even bouncers, but the DJ… the person who makes the whole thing go… the one who without that person, NOBODY gets paid… they want to come to the DJ with a sob story. And because we need some money, we take what they give us.

    Last thoughts: tomorrow will be better. The past is the past. Only you can control how hard you work every day.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis