Friday, November 27, 2009

What Charlamagne Tha God Won't/Can't Tell You....


I wrote the following the same evening I heard about the Beanie Sigel interview:

"Dear Charlamagne:

I like you. I've never met you..but I like you. I didn't listen to your show regularly, but I know enough about you to like you. I admire you for being a personality who thinks OUTSIDE the box. I view you as being controversial...but not in a forced kind of way. You're a little obnoxious, but I still like you. Why? Because you ENGAGE the listener. You get it. You HAVE to give the listener a little more than the temperature and a liner in order to compete.

I checked on your well being regularly because knowing your R Kelly's boyfriend aka your former boss, the way that I do, I found it hard to believe that everything was honky dory every morning when you got off the air. In fact, after this 30 minute interview with Beans, I thought I heard ERCS screaming in his office all the way on the west coast."

On or around September 9th, about a month or so BEFORE Charlemagne was terminated at THE BEAT in Philly, I blogged the following:

Charlamagne Tha God has been doing exceptionally well @ 100.3 in Philly. A part of me can't help to wonder if Elroy is in his office pulling his hair out. (figuratively speaking, that is) Elroy likes manufactured, feel good, corny azz radio personalities that he can control. (hence the Miss Jones' firing) Tha God doesn't seem like "that dude". Elroy also will secretly wish death to anyone who says anything negative about his boyfriend, R Kelly. This will be interesting to watch. *sidebar* - Elroy...you can kiss my ass too. I'm thinking about writing a book about what a fraud you are.


You see, I knew Elroy wouldn't be able to last long. I.KNEW.IT.

C Tha God was not your typical radio personality. He was different. He knows and truly understands the importance of utilizing technology as it relates to keeping the listener ENGAGED. Even when I'm sure Elroy didn't exactly get it...and his bosses boss didn't understand....CHARLAMAGNE got it. In the few months that he graced the Philly airwaves, he made a TREMENDOUS connection with his listeners...and he did this not only through the traditional airwaves...but through the use of YouTube & Twitter. In fact, he was so good at it....until he easily drew attention and quickly gained notoriety among a ton of popular blogs and various print publications. He became popular really quick. Charlamagne knew how to push the envelope. He was the type of radio cat that you may talk trash about because of his on air persona....but you couldn't stop listening. He was good. He was DAMN good. So while the internets was buzzing about C's firing, assuming that Beanie Sigel had something to do with it, I knew in my heart what really happened. Since the radio world refuses to say anything anti-Elroy, I'll go ahead and break it down. Elroy is a bitch. He couldn't control C...and so C had to go. I am so serious. By the way, did he try to change your name when he first hired you like he did to "Beyonce Foxx" & "S Dot Carter" back in Chicago a few years ago? (more true examples of the Smith dictatorship)

If you're reading this and you are a part of the radio industry - - you already know. Stop fooling yourself. Elroy is a serious, SERIOUS media whore and a control freak. He would give up BOTH of his kidneys at the opportunity to be on the cover of somebody's industry trade. When celebrities come to the station and you would prepare to take a picture with them, he would literally jump in front of you and destroy the whole moment. By the time you get off the air, that picture is already on the homepage of Urban Insite & All Access. Always trying to steal the little bit of spotlight. He suffers from a condition called, Jackass-itis. Don't believe me? Watch this vid:






(*I think I just threw up a little bit in my mouth*)
Brand new morning show @ The Beat...and Elroy couldn't even let poor Charlamagne do a little intro video for the listeners alone.

And so....as I watched Charlamagne quickly grow....I knew that it wouldn't last. I too was independent and creative...and I didn't last either. I remember asking Elroy if I could incorporate certain elements into my show...and he downright refused. Why? I may have turned into a Charlamagne...that's why. Miss Jones didn't last 5 minutes with Elroy either. And if C expects to get another radio job, his best bet is to maintain his composure, refrain from bitch slapping Elroy and bow out and exit gracefully....which he did. Good for you.

Listen up Program Directors out there. You really need to stop resisting creative radio personalities. Try to learn about this little phenomenon called social networking and it's impact on the radio experience. Stop trying to tell artists how to paint. You will lose.

2 comments:

  1. Oh boy.

    See, that's why we need to use the available bandwidth and social networking (and a combination of a little SEO and hood marketing) to do our own thing...

    It can be done. Corporations suck ass...

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis